FINAL THOUGHTS...

“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'” – Eleanor Roosevelt When I began this program a year ago, I jumped in with both feet.   I had wanted this for a very long time, and it was almost as if I had been given a “do-over.”     All I knew was that life had recently thrown me several nasty curveballs, and I felt that going back to graduate school after 15 years was the best way to deal with them.   The thought of graduation, over a year away, seemed forever in the distance, and I had no real plans or ideas of where I was headed or what I wanted to do afterward.   Now, I am one term and one class away from graduation (ten weeks), and I am feeling more terrified than ever.   In essence, I am starting over mid-life and it scares me.   While I believe I finally determined what I would love to do

WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS...


http://elvisdaily.com/2017/01/05/15-interesting-elvis-presley-cartoon-drawing/

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!  Or does it?  


Perhaps an all girls weekend got a little crazy after your eighth shot of tequila.  You and your girls make your way to the Viva Las Vegas Wedding Chapel, where you marry a sexy dancer from the Thunder from Down Under show.  To make the occasion even better, an Elvis impersonator officiates the wedding ceremony and your girlfriends are your impromptu bridesmaids/witnesses, snapping pictures with their phones and posting the images to social media faster than you can say, “I do!”  It was a magical night until you wake up the next morning and realize you are lying next to a complete stranger in your hotel room.  It couldn’t possibly get any worse until your mother calls you screaming because she just found out you married a total stranger in Vegas, and it is all over social media.  Oh boy, what have you done?

A crazy situation like this might sound a bit extreme, but I am willing to bet many people (especially the younger generations) have not given a second thought about what they have posted to their social media feeds.  Every day, we post pictures of ourselves, retweet polarizing political memes, “like” racist comments, use offensive language, and debate others about something they said on social media. We do these things because we believe our First Amendment Rights allow us to do so.  All the while, we have not taken into consideration who might be looking at our pictures, how our comments may be perceived, or how or tweets/retweets might come back to haunt us in the future.  What people fail to remember, though, once something is on the Internet, it is there forever!  You can no longer burn those old photos from high school that you hope never resurface again like we used to do.  Do you know which ones I’m referring to…the ones where you’re smoking a joint at that one big party at Brad’s?  No, you can’t because everything is digital now, and therefore, someone has probably already uploaded it to social media too.

https://www.technowize.com/the-white-house-wants-you-to-report-censorship-on-social-media/Currently, I am in graduate school, and my end goal is to find a job, no a career, when I graduate this spring that not only uses my new skills and education, but that also makes me happy.  The thought of looking for a job, social media, starting over, etc. – it got me thinking.  When I received my bachelor’s degree over 15 years ago, finding a job was very different.  Throughout my career, I have changed jobs several times as well.  Even though I am not graduating until May, I am very mindful of watching what I post on my social media feed.  In fact, I have taken a step away from social media momentarily because of the negativity and current political climate in this election year; I do not want to be tempted to say something I might regret.  Potential employers can scroll through my feed and view past comments, pictures, and “likes” I may have forgotten are on my social media pages.  I could be the perfect candidate for the job, but due to something I posted online, I get passed over for the position.  Unfortunately, most employers never tell you why you did not get the job, leaving you wondering what went wrong.  Therefore, I self-censor myself and my social media feed.

Then again, this is 2020.  We now live in a world consumed by technology and social media.  My son is happy spending his free time watching Youtube videos of dorks screaming and cursing at the TV while they play video games.  (I hate it, but it’s what they all watch these days).  What’s worse, is that some of these dorks make six figures playing video games on Youtube for a living.  Children have become famous because they open donated, new toys that are not even on the market yet, on their Youtube channel.  Then, they tell their followers what they think about the toy, and advertisers pay them money.  Insane!  Women maintain “mom blogs” about funny child antics, old wives tales, and couponing as a way to make extra money but also link up with the outside world.  These people make a living online and, they say what they believe because that is what the public wants to hear.  Millions of people follow movie stars and famous musicians on social media daily.  Sometimes, it seems like the more outrageous and controversial things they say, the more people follow them.   Either way, they typically do not censor themselves.  So, why should the rest of us?  Why should what we say, or “like,” or the pictures we post to our feed make a difference in the way people view us?

Likewise, Clay Shirky (2012) discusses a food blog by a young girl in Scotland named Martha Payne.  Payne’s blog, NeverSeconds, documents her daily opinions about her school’s lunch, where she also provides a picture, a description, and a rating.  Shirky points out to the TED talk crowd that her blog began to gain readers, “And, as sometimes happens, this blog acquired first dozens of readers, and then hundreds of readers, and then thousands of readers, as people tuned in to watch her rate her school lunches, including on my favorite category, ‘Pieces of hair found in food.’  This was a zero day.  That’s good” (2012).  However, then Shirky relays to the audience that Martha’s head teacher told her she was no longer allowed to post about her lunches on her blog, prompting her to write a good-bye post.  The outrage!  Her school had to completely back-track, claiming they never tried to censor a nine-year-old student (except they just did that morning).  To that, Shirky asked the question, “What made them think they could get away with something like that?  And the answer is, all of human history prior to now” (2012).

In reality, it doesn't matter whether it is 2020 or 1920.  People are still being censored.  And it also doesn't appear that our obsession with social media and technology is going away anytime soon.  In fact, we seem determined to advance and develop new intelligence that will move us further than we have ever gone before.  Therefore, if we are going to be a society that lives, works, and socializes online, then we cannot be people that use our words and photos against each other.  If you don't want to be censored, or self-censor, then think about that going forward.  I'm sure we all have a few skeletons in our closet, and we shouldn't be afraid of losing a big account or not getting a job because of a picture from 20 years ago or a lunch blog that tells the truth about what a child is eating at school.  


"An attack upon our ability to tell stories is not just censorship - it is a crime against our nature as human beings." - Salman Rushdie (https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/censorship-quotes)





References 

Shirky, C. (2012, June). How the Internet will (one day) transform government [Video]. Ted   Conferences. https://www.ted.com/talks/clay_shirky_how_the_internet_will_one_day_
 transform_‌government              

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CROWDSOURCING: NEVER UNDERESTIMATE HUMAN GENEROSITY

Ads, Ads, Everywhere!!

The Evolution of the Media