FINAL THOUGHTS...

“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'” – Eleanor Roosevelt When I began this program a year ago, I jumped in with both feet.   I had wanted this for a very long time, and it was almost as if I had been given a “do-over.”     All I knew was that life had recently thrown me several nasty curveballs, and I felt that going back to graduate school after 15 years was the best way to deal with them.   The thought of graduation, over a year away, seemed forever in the distance, and I had no real plans or ideas of where I was headed or what I wanted to do afterward.   Now, I am one term and one class away from graduation (ten weeks), and I am feeling more terrified than ever.   In essence, I am starting over mid-life and it scares me.   While I believe I finally determined what I would love to do

PERCEPTION IS EVERYTHING!

“Perception is reality. If you are perceived to be something, you might as well be it because that's the truth in people's minds.”  - Steve Young 

Many factors can influence people’s perception of a business or of another person.  And social media has become extremely crucial in business today.  In fact, many companies operate strictly via social media only.  That being said, it’s vital to manage all social media accounts properly.  Proper management includes making sure to use the right platform at the right time.  Kathayat of Socialbakers interestingly points out,
This is one of the biggest mistakes a large number of brands make. Many brands post the same content in the same formats with the same copy across all their social platforms.

Each social platform is unique in many ways. Different social media channels have different strengths, features, marketing tools, and also diverse audiences with varying demographics, behaviors, and interests.

So, bear in mind your updates and marketing strategies for each social network should be distinctive and tailored to the audience on specific platforms.

Take Snapchat as an example. Would you really advertise to a Snapchat audience the same way as you do your Facebook audience? That would be a mistake. Snapchat’s audience is extremely specific (check out this guide to Snapchat ads), and advertisers who fail to research their audience before using that platform could be losing a lot of time and money.

So it’s clear: make sure you don’t fall into the trap of forgetting that different platforms have different audiences.
We have all experienced it at least once in our lives.  I am talking about poor customer service.  Whether it was at a restaurant, a department store, or an online retailer, the outcome is the same.  Perhaps because I have worked in the service/customer service industry in the past, I now have higher expectations for others.  Maybe it’s because I know the incredible service I have provided in the past; therefore, I naively assume everyone else that works in the service industry should operate with the same positivity and efficiency.  Wrong!

I remember reading years ago, (before social media) when the average person has a positive customer experience, they typically only tell one or two people.  However, if a person has a horrible customer service experience somewhere, they will usually tell about ten of their friends and family members.  Nowadays, social media has completely changed the game.  American Express recently reported that the number is, in fact, closer to 15 people Americans tell when they have an unpleasant customer service experience. And we all know this happens – many people exaggerate the details or every time they retell the story, it becomes a little worse, and they become more of a victim.  Subsequently, Amaresan with HubSpot, writes, “It takes 12 positive customer experiences to make up for one negative experience.” On the other hand, due to the increased use of social media, the typical American now tells about 11 different people when they have pleasant experiences per American Express. People now post their experiences online, whether it was about their service at dinner last night or about the quality of the customer service their cell phone carrier provided to them when their bill was wrong last month.  Meanwhile, I am completely shocked by AmericanExpress’ reporting that millennials tell about 17 people when they have a positive experience.  Although, I guess I shouldn’t be that shocked by a generation that posts pictures of EVERYTHING to social media!

If perception is everything, then companies must communicate to their customers what makes their company or product better than the competition.  If a business can’t do that, what incentive does a customer have to purchase their product?  Shopping is often an emotional experience.  At least it is for me.  Why do you think most people impulse buy?  Why do you think so many people shop when they are sad or depressed?  Although there are adverse effects as well, such as spending beyond your means, US News reports, “Many experts agree that retail therapy can actually be good for you because it will boost your mood and even reduce anxiety.”  Say what you want about them, Amazon has figured it out.  They have pretty much cornered the market in several categories regarding customer perception.

https://marketoonist.com/2013/05/word-of-mouth-marketing.htmlAmazon’s use of social media is fantastic, considering they are strictly an online company.  Amazon’s product sales have a lot to do with their product reviews and how their customer service handles them.  If any of you are like me, I often read reviews of most of the products I buy online before I purchase anything.  That way, if an item has 100 reviews and half of them are negative, I probably won’t buy it and look for something else.  However, if the negative reviews were regarding shipping in the past and [Amazon] was apologetic and took responsibility and made things right, then I might see the reviews a little different.  Amazon had also set itself apart from everyone else because they offered customers something no one knew they “needed” when no other company was in the position to do so.  Two-day delivery.  And it changed shopping forever.

Amazon has spoiled me.  I avoid the mall and going into stores like the plague.  If I can buy it on Amazon, most of the time I do.  (FYI – Ambien and Amazon are not a great combination).  And delivery in two days?  For free?  Yes Please!  The amount of money I save in shipping (and aggravation from not having to wait in line or bother with PEOPLE at the store) ultimately outweighs the annual fee Amazon charges to shop on their site.  Amazon has given me Black Friday back – and I can sleep in and enjoy the day instead of fighting crowds of people over a $20 sweater that I really don’t need.  And even though Amazon now has competition from sites like Walmart and Target, their prices are typically better. 

In the end, companies like Amazon are in a class above the rest because people perceive them that way.  If something is expensive, then people usually perceive it to be of high quality.  When a particular designer makes a product, then it must be a quality item.  If I order an item from Amazon, I expect it to be delivered in two days, because that is what they advertise.  When that doesn’t happen (because of a third-party shipper), then my perception could change depending on how fast I receive the item and/or how much I want it.  Again, shopping is an emotional act.  Therefore, businesses need to do everything they can to ensure its customers perceive their company or product to be better than the competition. 


“The customer’s perception is your reality.”  - Kate Zabriskie




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CROWDSOURCING: NEVER UNDERESTIMATE HUMAN GENEROSITY

Ads, Ads, Everywhere!!

The Evolution of the Media