FINAL THOUGHTS...

“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'” – Eleanor Roosevelt When I began this program a year ago, I jumped in with both feet.   I had wanted this for a very long time, and it was almost as if I had been given a “do-over.”     All I knew was that life had recently thrown me several nasty curveballs, and I felt that going back to graduate school after 15 years was the best way to deal with them.   The thought of graduation, over a year away, seemed forever in the distance, and I had no real plans or ideas of where I was headed or what I wanted to do afterward.   Now, I am one term and one class away from graduation (ten weeks), and I am feeling more terrified than ever.   In essence, I am starting over mid-life and it scares me.   While I believe I finally determined what I would love to do

The Evolution of the Media


“The media, like anything else, can be bought. Everything, it seems, has its price. Even the free press.”  ― Lance Morcan, The Orphan Conspiracies: 29 Conspiracy Theories from The Orphan Trilogy  (https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/free-press)


timeline created by Lexter Neil
Money talks.  We all know that.  Now, money may not make you a happier person in the end, but it sure does help pay the bills.  So really, it shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone that traditional media is slowly dying a painful death.  “Traditional media” as we know it is being replaced by the sexier, much cooler, considerably more cost-effective new guy, the Internet.

Traditionally, newspapers were extremely partisan and geared toward their voters who subscribed to the papers, because that was how they stayed in business.  However, around the turn of the 20th century, advertising was responsible for the majority of the incoming revenue of most American news organizations, and they were able to change their style.  “Reporters pledged themselves to ‘facts, facts, and more facts,’” Lepore writes (2019).  Eventually, newspaper articles were no longer just factual, but the writers began to incorporate their opinions and personal analysis to compete with television (Lepore, 2019). 

The television, on the other hand, introduced Americans to a whole new way to view media.  Television exposure can make a difference in a politician’s campaign, it can present a major news event to the public, and even offers hours of entertainment for the entire family.  Anthony (2013) suggests, “Every major happening is now captured by television, or it's not a major happening.  Events such as the fall of the Berlin Wall that began on November 9, 1989, had not just Americans, but people all over the world glued to their televisions for days, as the events unfolded before their eyes on live TV (BBC News, 2019).  And, who can forget the morning of September 11, 2001?  I remember I was sound asleep because I had a late class that morning when a friend called to tell me what had just happened.  He told me to turn on my TV to see what had just happened.  I asked him what channel I needed to turn to and he told me to take my pick; it didn’t matter.  I could have turned to CNN, CBS News, or the Cartoon Network.  They were all showing the same frightful images of the planes crashing into the twin towers and the towers tumbling to the ground.  No one spoke a word in class that day.  Everyone was speechless.

Of course, the TV, my parents grew up watching is definitely not the same TV we watch today.  Even the television programs I grew up watching are not like what people watch today.  My son has no idea who Mr. Rogers is and has never had the pleasure of watching Reading Rainbow on PBS.  In fact, PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) charges $5 a month to watch certain shows for people who have cut the cord from cable and now stream their shows.  PBS is no longer FREE!  Growing up, we had four main channels and our TV was enormous!  And there was no remote control.  Unfortunately, my siblings and I were the remote control.  And I was so jealous of my friends who were lucky enough to have cable or satellite (the gigantic flying saucer looking satellite dish that takes up half the backyard) because we still had what I referred to as “poor man's” TV.  I was a teenager before my parents finally stepped into the 20th century and got cable.  It was everything I thought it would be, and more! 

However, after the turn of the century, as the Internet became more accessible and affordable, television began to evolve as well.  People no longer had the time to sit through three minutes of commercials.  Cable companies started offering customers DVR service to record their programming, and broadcasting became digital.  Social media sites like (MySpace – I know, My What?), Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. revolutionized the way people communicate with each other.  It did not take long for people to become accustomed to the “come-and-go lifestyle” that the Internet had afforded them.  That being said, large media conglomerates such as AT&T Inc., Facebook, and The Wall Street Journal are still standing because they have the checkbooks to stay afloat.  These companies have bought smaller media companies not able to survive since the recession and the change of the media industry.  The majority of people no longer desire a “paper” newspaper every day.  Considering that 96 percent of Americans own a cellphone of some form, where 81 percent are smartphone owners, it is not a surprise to hear that traditional print newspapers are dying.  People can access news at any time on their cell phones now.  We have become a society of right now.  It is no longer a question of if, it is when.  The real question is, how much longer do they have?  

As sad as it may be, the reality is there is a life-cycle for most of us.  I include products and practices in this cycle as well.  Communication isn't any different.  Newspapers are cycling through.  Radio, television, the Internet, even fashion all have a life-cycle.  Either we embrace the changes or we are going to get left in the dust, because whether we like it or not, money talks.
      

Joe Moran, professor of English and cultural history at Liverpool John Moores University, quotes a dumbfounded Joey Tribbiani (Matt LeBlanc) from Friends on learning that a new acquaintance doesn't have a TV set: "But what does your furniture point at?"  



References


Anthony, A. (2013, September 7). A history of television, the technology that seduced the world - and me. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/sep/07/history-television-seduced-the-world

BBC News. (2019, November 5). How 1989 reshaped the modern world. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50013048

Lepore, J. (2019, January 21). Does Journalism Have a Future? Retrieved from https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/01/28/does-journalism-have-a-future

Pew Research Center. (2019, June 12). Mobile Fact Sheet. Retrieved from https://www.pewresearch.org/‌internet/‌fact-sheet/mobile/               



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CROWDSOURCING: NEVER UNDERESTIMATE HUMAN GENEROSITY

Ads, Ads, Everywhere!!